Flag Counter » Forum

FLAG COUNTER FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2011 12:14 pm  #1

Problem - sudden increase in visitors

Since last night, my site is being visited continuously from all over the world in a pattern, 3 visit per place in a matter of seconds, which suggests that this is some kind of automated, computerized, randomized process.
I've been on you forum earlier requesting and offering flags, just for the fun of getting a few more, but this is way beyond what I want.
As this is a serious site, I wished that the flag counter more or less reflected "real" visits to the site, which has been steady at a few visits per day. Yesterday, the number of visitors suddenly rose to several hundred and this continues today.
Is there anything I (or you) can do to stop this "mass attack" on the site?

Best regards,

Fishy wishes from 1fish2fish
Please visit the site
http://lifecycle-fp7.eu/
http://s04.flagcounter.com/more/cDvr

May 23, 2011 12:49 pm  #2

Re: Problem - sudden increase in visitors

You should define the site where your flag counter may appear.
To do that go into your flag counter management and check at the Flag Counter Pro Options  "Allowed Domains". Made the appropriate entry there.

And, it is no way to take the flags you received away except generating a new counter.

The above methods prevents the misuse of your flag counter code by others. It does not prevent different web attacks on your site. You should employ a different analytic tool to check the option too. I can't see  from your page source if you have one already in use.
Some people prefer Google Analytics others like me prefer PIWIK to provide two options.

Last edited by Jens (May 23, 2011 1:00 pm)

The views expressed in this statement are in no way intended to represent the views of boardhost.com. The views are my own as moderator of this forum. Since 31 Dec 2016 I'm retired and no longer Moderator of this forum.

May 23, 2011 2:03 pm  #3

1fish2fish wrote:

Since last night, my site is being visited continuously from all over the world in a pattern, 3 visit per place in a matter of seconds, which suggests that this is some kind of automated, computerized, randomized process.
I've been on you forum earlier requesting and offering flags, just for the fun of getting a few more, but this is way beyond what I want.
As this is a serious site, I wished that the flag counter more or less reflected "real" visits to the site, which has been steady at a few visits per day. Yesterday, the number of visitors suddenly rose to several hundred and this continues today.

Best regards,

I would hardly call it a "mass attack" looking at visits on your counter. Why did you join FC in the first place ? And if this "is way beyond what you want" then just delete Flag Counter from your site and remove all your posts at FC forum. Simple.

May 23, 2011 2:28 pm  #4

Lorelei wrote:

1fish2fish wrote:

Best regards,

I would hardly call it a "mass attack" looking at visits on your counter. Why did you join FC in the first place ? And if this "is way beyond what you want" then just delete Flag Counter from your site and remove all your posts at FC forum. Simple.

Hi Lorelei and thanks for your comments. I joined FC in the first place simply to see who (i.e. which countries) visited the site and how often. I'm pretty sure that many FC users join FC for that reason. Although I joined the forum for the fun of exchanging a few flags with other FC members, I have no real interest in "artificially" receiving massive number of visitors who neither represent real visitors to the site, not individual FC members. It's cool to have one Greenland flag, but to receive 24 "computerized" visits from Greenland in a few hours, is not as cool. 

Please visit the site

May 23, 2011 2:58 pm  #5

@1fish2fish. I take your point. Take the rough with the smooth. Some visits are real, some are not. It is for you to decide. As Jens said, anyone can use your Flag Counter code, if they really want to. But it does not mean they are visiting your site. But some people here at FC really are visiting your site. 

May 25, 2011 6:21 am  #6

With the great instructions and assistance of both Jens and Jeremy, I managed to stem the flow of unwelcome visits late last night. Over the previous 48 hours I had had about 1200 visits, compared with about 2000 visits over the last 8 months! It turned out that the visits were really not to my site, but to other "tagged" sites to which my site address had been added (this is my layman's understanding of it). After Jens told me what it was all about (thanks again!) I realized that it's really important to register your FC when you add it, so you can get to the FC management page. I hadn't done this, but with the help of FC and Jeremy, this could be sorted out. So late last night I could restrict the FC to only the legitimate web addresses for my site!  So now I'm back to the "measly" few visitors a day, but at least I know they've actually been to my website.
My FC looks a bit "weird" after the onslaught of these robotic visits - it looks like my site is extremely popular in Greenland, Iceland, Falkland Islands and Rwanda  , but in the long run, this will be smoothed out by my real visitors. So thanks again guys!!   

Please visit the site

Board footera

Flag Counter