Flag Counter » Forum

FLAG COUNTER FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2010 11:40 am  #1

Flag Map Beta

The Flag Map beta has been moved.

You can now find it on the standard "Regenerate HTML" page after clicking on your Flag Counter.

We have also added the ability for a label on top of the map as you can do with our regular counters.

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

June 29, 2010 1:55 pm  #2

Re: Flag Map Beta

Hi Jeremy,

I like the idea very much, but the map is not well positioned.  Many countries to the east of Australia (including New Zealand and some other pacific islands) are being cut off on the right side of the map while a lot of space is devoted to Alaska and the empty pacific ocean on the left side of the map.  Can you move the map a little so that we can capture more of those pacific islands and perhaps take out parts of Alaska (anyway there are going to be no flags placed there).

Thank you.

June 29, 2010 2:15 pm  #3

Also, there seems to be a bug in the code generation.  Even though I have set the "Label on top of counter" to none, it still puts "Visitors" there on the map.  Is there something I can do to the html after it is generated to get rid of the label?  It looks like the parameter for this goes after "viewers=" in the html code, but even removing that part entirely did not get rid of the label on top (which is understandable since the custom label did not appear on the map when I changed it to "Custom label" from "None", and gave it a custom text).

Any way to make the map lighter colored?  Many of the flags are blending with the background because of the dark color of the map.

June 30, 2010 5:01 am  #4

blogannath wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

I like the idea very much, but the map is not well positioned.  Many countries to the east of Australia (including New Zealand and some other pacific islands) are being cut off on the right side of the map while a lot of space is devoted to Alaska and the empty pacific ocean on the left side of the map.  Can you move the map a little so that we can capture more of those pacific islands and perhaps take out parts of Alaska (anyway there are going to be no flags placed there).

Thank you.

The map is centered now, and having it any other way looks pretty strange, we've tried it.  The Pacific is actually far from empty on that side, there are flags for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Niue, American Somoa, Samoa, Tonga and Wallis and Futuna that there needs to be room for.

We're working on repositioning many of the flags, and you should see some changes already.  There will no longer be any flags that are "cut off".

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

June 30, 2010 5:04 am  #5

blogannath wrote:

Also, there seems to be a bug in the code generation.  Even though I have set the "Label on top of counter" to none, it still puts "Visitors" there on the map.  Is there something I can do to the html after it is generated to get rid of the label?  It looks like the parameter for this goes after "viewers=" in the html code, but even removing that part entirely did not get rid of the label on top (which is understandable since the custom label did not appear on the map when I changed it to "Custom label" from "None", and gave it a custom text).

Any way to make the map lighter colored?  Many of the flags are blending with the background because of the dark color of the map.

viewers=3 will get rid of the label.  I just tried generating a code and it seems to be working as it should when you chose "none".

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

June 30, 2010 2:14 pm  #6

Sorry, Jeremy, my HTML code does have "viewers=3" in it, but the text still shows up.  You can check it out on my site (the map is near the bottom below all the blog posts).

As for improvements to the placement of flags on the map, I will be looking forward to them!

June 30, 2010 2:34 pm  #7

blogannath wrote:

Sorry, Jeremy, my HTML code does have "viewers=3" in it, but the text still shows up.  You can check it out on my site (the map is near the bottom below all the blog posts).

Should be working on all servers now.

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

June 30, 2010 2:46 pm  #8

Perfect, Jeremy.  Thank you very much for the quick fix.

July 15, 2010 7:55 pm  #9

I am noticing what may be a new problem:  Since I have both the flag counter widget with all the flags as well as the flag map on the same page, I think every page load is being counted twice.  Since I added the flag map to my website towards the end of june, my new visitors as well as views have suddenly jumped to twice of what they usually are, and are twice of what the other pageview counter on my website counts.

I did not realize this would be a side-effect of adding the map to the page in addition to the regular flagcounter widget.  Can somebody else verify that this is so?  Is there any way to not have this happen?  Thank you.

July 15, 2010 11:11 pm  #10

I have been having that problem for some time now, and it happens on all counters, even the regional flags on my FC Pro. But it is erratic, most new flags do come up with two, but some count as only one! I know that two does look better than one, but it does not give a true indicator as to how many visitors I have really had.

Board footera

Flag Counter