Flag Counter » Forum

FLAG COUNTER FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2016 6:31 am  #1

Moving website with new URL - keeping old flag data

I am new to this forum so hope this question is not too obvious... have searched and cant find answer.
I have used flag counter on a couple of my websites and found it very useful. However, I use a CMS in a subfolder and redirect users at the index.html page to the CMS landing page. Therefore, when I changed the CMS on one site and installed flagcounter the new CMS reset to zero, losing the 150,000 visits it had previously regstered. Is there any way i can migrate the old data (collected at www.####.com/cms1/index.php ) to the new landing page  (located at www.####.com/cms2/index.php ) ? 
Maybe i should have put flag counter on the   www.####.com/index.html   page where it redirects, and then used an iframe to view it within the CMS... but that is in retrospect
Any ideas gratefully received.

July 2, 2016 10:10 am  #2

Re: Moving website with new URL - keeping old flag data

I'm not sure if I understood your query correctly.
1. You have two counters assigned to the email address used for this forum. (MEfO on s01, oH1Y on s07)
These counters haven't collect 150.000 visits as you mentioned. The first one has been viewed 12,463 times by 8,080 visitors, the second much less.
2. If you don't reset your flag counter the flags and visitors collected should be retained. That has nothing to do with your CMS.
3. You can easily shift the counter(s) to your new site by placing the counter (I assume you prefer the iframe technique) at an appropriate place. The counter statistics will remain unchanged.

The views expressed in this statement are in no way intended to represent the views of boardhost.com. The views are my own as moderator of this forum. Since 31 Dec 2016 I'm retired and no longer Moderator of this forum.

July 2, 2016 11:50 am  #3

Thanks for the quick reply
The one i have been using is at  rmsir####/cms5/ which is the landing page of the divert from  rmsir*###/index.html  and has the visits recorded (you are correct with the numbers.. mine was a wild guess) I want to try to retain when i change the divert to land at the updated site at   rmsir####/27a/
If i leave the counter at the old page it wont get any new visits.  My fault for not thinking this out a year ago when i started using it.
I did install a new counter on the new landing page.. which is the one that only has a few visits... mainly me writing the new site! I thought the new counter would register the visits to the domain  rmsir####   & not the specific page, and thus the new one would carry on where they old one left off.

July 2, 2016 3:31 pm  #4

You should simply put the code of the old counter on your new landing page.

If you want to register all visits of all sub-pages of your CMS, I recommend to place the code on each page. The best solution to do so is to implement the code into the layout template. It is possible to hide the counter image on different pages if you upgrade to a pro account. Hiding the counter image is not allowed for the free version,

The views expressed in this statement are in no way intended to represent the views of boardhost.com. The views are my own as moderator of this forum. Since 31 Dec 2016 I'm retired and no longer Moderator of this forum.

July 2, 2016 4:39 pm  #5

Ah!!  so simple!!. now moved and works perfectly. I thought each "install" of it had to be a new one. Will use the other one for my other site. Will also check out pro version options...
Many many thanks

July 3, 2016 8:58 am  #6

My pleasure

Board footera

Flag Counter