Flag Counter » Forum

FLAG COUNTER FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2014 6:58 am  #1

Repeat Visitor Changes

After careful consideration, we are making changes to how repeat visitors to your counter are handled.  For more than a year now, we have offered the choice of whether you want your counter to use cookies, or IP address tracking to determine if a visitor should add a flag to your counter.

Using cookies to determine if someone has viewed the counter in the past has unfortunately proven to be unreliable and a source of confusion.  In some cases, antivirus software deletes cookies, or a user has their browser configured to delete cookies when they close it.  In other cases, a user has brought their laptop with them traveling around the world, and doesn't understand why they aren't adding a flag from the new country they're visiting from.

Effective immediately, all Flag Counters will no longer use cookies to track repeat visitors.

Any counter that was previously using cookies will now count a unique IP address once per day by default.  This can be changed to 8 hours, 24 hours, 3 days, or 1 week.

The following new features have been added:
-An "Ignore This Browser" section now appears in Flag Counter Management section.  Using this option will set a permanent cookie on your browser only that prevents your counter from adding a visitor, a pageview, or a visitor log entry whenever your browser is used.

-A new 8 hour option for repeat visitors.

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

March 25, 2014 8:34 am  #2

Re: Repeat Visitor Changes

After consideration of the feedback we have received since making these changes, we have realized that there are a lot of users who didn't register their counter.

If you have an unregistered counter, below the "Regenerate HTML" link is a new link that says "Ignore this browser".  This will set the same cookie that is available in Flag Counter Management section in your browser to prevent your visits from counting.

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

March 25, 2014 10:56 pm  #3

The changes are welcome, but I think that I have a problem: I have chosen the 8 hours option, but my counter behaves as it has the default 24 hrs option! First I 've noticed a decrease of visits at  the last 2 days from certain countries about at the 1/3 or less of the normal. Then I 've checked this watching visits from certain visitor within 24 hrs.
 Maybe I do something wrong, or my fc did not accepted the option of 8 hrs, or there is something else?

Last edited by nikolaos p. (March 25, 2014 10:57 pm)

March 25, 2014 11:31 pm  #4

There was indeed a bug that was causing the 8 hour option not to work.  This has been fixed.

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

March 26, 2014 4:45 am  #5

Thanks Jeremy!

September 28, 2014 7:01 pm  #6

Thank you for this feature!   Now, I have run into this problem.   My malware application and/or Norton Internet Security, removes that cookie each time it runs!!    How can I identify this cookie 'signature' so I can add it to cookies to be ignored whilst those Apps are doing hteir thing?

Thank you for any hints or suggestions ..

Zekeian

September 29, 2014 8:30 am  #7

The changes are welcome, but I think that I have a problem: I have chosen the 8 hours option, but my counter behaves as it has the default 24 hrs option! First I 've noticed a decrease of visits at  the last 2 days from certain countries about at the 1/3 or less of the normal. Then I 've checked this watching visits from certain visitor within 24 hrs.

September 30, 2014 7:24 pm  #8

Hi zekeian,

You should be able to simply add our domain name flagcounter.com to your list of cookies to ignore.

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

September 30, 2014 7:25 pm  #9

Hi haider,

What is the address of your counter?  These changes have been in place since March when this thread was opened.

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

Board footera

Flag Counter