Flag Counter » Forum

FLAG COUNTER FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2013 12:06 pm  #11

Re: Suggestion: Enable removal of self-added hits

I said some months ago and I say again, that it should be useful an option to block sites, (something in the same style as allowed sites). I think that it could help in this situation, isn't it?

May 28, 2013 6:42 pm  #12

Well, blocking sites wouldn't really help in this case, as the bot just moved itself over to my front page.

My original suggestion still seems to be best: being able to go into your Visitor Log and delete visits from yourself, or, as has become obvious, from bots. Of course, one wouldn't be able to do this with the unregistered version, and Jeremy mentioned that it would be difficult to delete regions that have been added, which is why I suggested letting them be displayed as having "0" visitors so as not to torture the code too much. But the ability to get rid of garbage would definitely be helpful in keeping one's counters clean and accurate!

Last edited by begordon (May 28, 2013 6:47 pm)

May 28, 2013 8:26 pm  #13

Not wishing to put a downer on this thread......but is 24 hits from a bot such a big issue?.....its hardly life changing is it?.....if it was 24000 then yea....but 24? Really?

On The 8th Day God Created A Megamix, & The Heavens Danced.

May 29, 2013 1:57 am  #14

Paul Prince wrote:

Not wishing to put a downer on this thread......but is 24 hits from a bot such a big issue?.....its hardly life changing is it?.....if it was 24000 then yea....but 24? Really?

My counter is still pretty new, and the bot hits once every two days. In a year I'll have 182 more spurious hits from France. So yeah... it's a major problem!

June 17, 2013 10:41 pm  #15

nikolaos p. wrote:

I said some months ago and I say again, that it should be useful an option to block sites, (something in the same style as allowed sites). I think that it could help in this situation, isn't it?

Actually, I checked the IP addresses that were pinging my counter, and all the hits are coming from a single one. I added that IP address to my IP deny manager. We'll see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks, Nikolaos!

Last edited by begordon (June 17, 2013 10:45 pm)

August 16, 2013 8:50 pm  #16

Caught and suppressed a second bot, this time from Romania. This one was more difficult to deal with than the previous one from France, as it had a cache -- after I IP-blocked it, it hit my counter a couple more times through its cached version! I got around that by taking my counter off the page it was hitting, unblocking the IP, and letting it hit the page a couple more times, then blocking the IP again so that this time it would have a cached version without my counter on it. It got in eight hits on my counter; like the bot from France, they were all counted as "new visits".

Board footera

Flag Counter