Flag Counter » Forum

FLAG COUNTER FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2009 12:44 pm  #1

My visits on my blog gets counted each time

Hi, I've been using flagcounter for more than 2 months on my livejournal account.

The only issue I have had since the start is that each of my visits to my website gets counted again and again!

I know that there is supposed to be a cookie that will get stored upon my first visit to my LJ - I've checked it in the Temporary Internet files folder and it's there! However, my next visit still got counted! Apparently, a cookie is created each time I arrive on my website's page...

I've even specified flagcounter.com as an "Allow" website in my Internet options>Privacy tab.

One thing I noticed is that the cookie is named "labels=0/" instead of the usual cookie:user@website.com - I don't think this is the problem though.

Does anyone have any suggestion/ idea/ solution for this? I really like flagcounter but I am finding it really grating that my country shows each time when I visit and thereby corrupting the stats...

Thanks in adv!

Last edited by Echo180 (November 2, 2009 12:46 pm)

November 2, 2009 6:17 pm  #2

Re: My visits on my blog gets counted each time

Welcome to the forum 

Echo180 wrote:

I've even specified flagcounter.com as an "Allow" website in my Internet options>Privacy tab.

OK I see you know with computers but just one Q: below that "allow" option there's a question (at least in Firefox): Keep cookies a. until they expire b. until i close firefox c. ask me every time - i hope it's not set on B 

November 3, 2009 3:07 pm  #3

No, there's not such an option in Internet Explorer 7... 

actually, I just went to my website again, and again, I got counted in AND while checking my Temporary Internet files I saw that a new cookie has again been created and thus accumulating with existing cookies... so it's not really an issue of the cookie getting deleted once my visit is over...   

I think I must resign myself to keeping my visits to the strict minimum... 

November 3, 2009 3:32 pm  #4

Are you on Vista? Can you switch to XP & try it?
Or use another browser, like Mozilla 3.5 or Google Chrome and let us know

November 3, 2009 3:38 pm  #5

Yeah, I am on Vista..

Ok, I'll try firefox (must download it 1st)...

Thx for the advice - will let you know asap!

November 4, 2009 3:30 pm  #6

Ok, so after testing Firefox, unfortunately my visits are still getting counted!

I have checked the cookies list and again, they are accumulating... 

Do you think that the problem is with Vista itself? I am on server S01 for flagcounter, could this also be the source of the problem?

November 5, 2009 2:19 am  #7

Hmm.. when you come to this or to any other forum, are you logged in (assuming you didn't log out on previous visit)? If you are, you've got a a cookie. Maybe it's a problem with LJ 

It could be that you or some other software inadvertantly set LJ as being a "blocked" or special site. You could especially add this website into the "trusted sites" on the security tab. This may work.

It's not Vista nor the flagcounter server, I'm going through some other options but need your answer first.

November 5, 2009 5:09 pm  #8

I don't want to shout victory too soon but after reading your response, I just tried to open my webpage using firefox again... and... apparently I didn't get counted in!!!!

Yet, I still clicked on the flagcounter (and was directed to the stats pages) to really confirm this - because yesterday too when I visited my page my visit "appeared" to have not been counted but was shown otherwise when I checked the detailed stats! This time though, the stats were fine too!!! And just to be sure, I closed firefox and waited a bit and retried again. I still didn't get counted in! Wow!   

However, I think I'll wait at least tomorrow - retrying again - just to be sure that it's really ok.. I won't even try on IE7 anymore.

Anyways, all this to say that I may have got the solution at last (all thanks to your suggestion  ). But to answer your questions, just in case:

1. No I am not logged in when I visit. I don't think either that I can get out of my LJ account without logging out (I think the site itself will log out the session if I leave)

2. The cookies are there, in fact they are not being deleted, just accumulating...

3. Other software... well for my antivirus Kaspersky, my LJ address is already a trusted site but I did amend this on my IE7 - even if I don't plan to reuse IE7 for my visits...

So, hopefully, all is now ok but I'll do confirm this later on.

Anyways, Notturno you've been a great help all along - with much patience - and I hope I'll not disturb you again. Thanks!!!!

November 6, 2009 3:08 am  #9

Wooo, I'm so happy for you So was a different browser the solution or what specifically did you do differently this time?

Why don't you try IE7 now, fully or in safe mode to see what happens; maybe you need to change privacy levels to medium/low if you haven't already.
Maybe there's something with Java script - have you had any problems with flash/java stuff, viewing youtube, etc.?

To be frank I don't know that much about computers so I've searched the net a bit for similar problems & proposed solutions - I hope it didn't mess up your computer .
It was my pleasure to assist

Last edited by Notturno (November 6, 2009 3:09 am)

November 6, 2009 6:14 pm  #10

Yes, yes, yes!!! Whff!! Finally, everything is confirmed to be normal!!! BOTH on Firefox AND IE7.

Thank you so much Notturno!! 

So what changed?? Really can't pinpoint out what settled my problem. But just in case someone else is in the same situation, let me just summarise the main changes I've made on my PC these last few days:

1. Install Firefox. And yeah you were right in guessing that I had problems with my flash on IE7 (how did you come to suspect that??? I'm impressed!) since a long time [each day I had to reinstall adobe flash  ] - but dearest firefox automatically detected the absence of flash AND installed it!

2. This gave me the idea to seek an add-on for IE7 (on microsoft's website itself) for a flash related add ons.

3. I suggest trying visits on a couple of days since the 1st day when I had firefox, the visits still got counted on and on... probably something to do with the set up having to save the cookie and taking time to remember it (?)

incidentally, a few days before starting this thread I discovered how to view the whole content of my Temporary Internet files of IE7 [run IE7 on admin mode] - thanks to that at least I could see the cookie set by flagcounter - something which was always hidden before...

So, while I can't say what caused what, more likely a mixture of the above made the trick - I am almost sure that Firefox and Flash was the real key...

Anyways, much thanks to you Notturno again for your patience and diligence in helping me!!! 

C U around!

Board footera

Flag Counter