Flag Counter » Forum

FLAG COUNTER FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2009 9:37 pm  #1

Timor-Leste

Jeremy, I know there have been several Timor-Leste issues posted, but i'm still confused as to why a country with a pretty large population can still manage to not register.  I have looked over the TLD info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.tl  which does not help much.  could it be a conflict in still having 2 two letter codes?  I have 27 Unknown - Asia/Pacific Region flags and am quite sure most are from Timor, so we know there is activity from there.

October 10, 2009 11:29 pm  #2

Re: Timor-Leste

IANA's (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) response:

We do not operate a geo-ip service. However, if you contact the operators of the service you are most interested in they should be able to update their records. You might also want to contact APNIC
(www.apnic.net) who can let you know what country is listed against your IP address in their whois
database.

Regards

APNIC's (Asia Pacific Network Information Centre) response:

Thank you for your email. Please be informed that APNIC is the Regional Internet Registry for Asia Pacific Region. The primary role of the RIRs is to register IP addresses and other resources to the organisations using them and to provide a public database where those registrations can be viewed.

We do not provide connectivity and we are not involved in operational matters. You are welcome to search the APNIC Whois Database to track down the network responsible for the IP address and find contact details for the network administrators.

http://www.apnic.net/apnic-info/whois_search

You will need to contact them directly to resolve your issues.

I hope this information helps.

Network Administration of .TL never replied back. Feel free to contact them. I just mailed ICANN (Internet Corporation 4 Assigned Names & Numbers).

October 10, 2009 11:46 pm  #3

Do you have a visitor IP from there?

Not sure how you know that's where they're located.  I can't find any IPs from there to do some research.

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

October 11, 2009 12:00 am  #4

I know for sure, even e-mailed you once about it 
Don't have any IP in hands but it's smthng like ->
netname:      INTELSAT-CUST-TIMORTEL-TL
descr:        Reassignment to Timor Telecom customer, TL
nic-hdl:      NA74-AP
e-mail:       nfaf@timortelecom.tp

October 11, 2009 12:09 am  #5

Well it appears that subnet is served by the satellite provider http://www.intelsat.com/

Timor-Leste has a very small number of Internet users, so it is not unreasonable to assume that all of your visitors were using this provider.

I think that makes Unknown AP Region a good assignment for these visitors.

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

October 11, 2009 12:26 am  #6

Wow, thank you Didn't know about subnets Guess all on Timor Telecom are on Intelsat then  Searching for .tl IP I found this:
netname:      NIDS-NF
descr:        Norfolk Island Data Services
descr:        PO Box 909 Taylors Road
descr:        NSW 2899
descr:        Norfolk Island
descr:        South Pacific
&
as-name: NINET-AS-NF-AP
descr: Norfolk Telecom, GBE
descr: Internet Service Provider
descr: Telecommunications Carrier
descr: Administration of Norfolk Island
descr: Norfolk Island, South Pacific

How do you explain Australian flag appearing on flag counter instead

October 11, 2009 12:40 am  #7

this is making more sense now, thank you both, and as far as knowing my visitors are from Timor, I will get visitors from Timor(from my friends list) on a particular day with the matching unknown AP flag on my counter.  Sorry I don't have IP addresses though

October 12, 2009 10:33 am  #8

ohhh...no
I can tell you a reason
Timor-Leste's IP "only" 4096 hosts
180.189.160.0-180.189.175.255
Issuance: Sep 22, 2009

Conclusion: Timor-Leste not Asia Pacific

October 12, 2009 3:38 pm  #9

Then where are 1800 Asia Pacific visitors to PTT's flagcounter from?
And how come there's no East Timor flag?

October 12, 2009 7:17 pm  #10

and the only others in the region are christmas island & cocos island, I have no friends from either, but do have many from timor, and as I have said the asian/pacific flag match known timor visits

Board footera

Flag Counter