Flag Counter » Forum

FLAG COUNTER FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2017 3:58 am  #1

Czech Republic Name Change Poll

Hello Collectors,

This has been brought up a few times in the forum,  

Should Flagcounter change the name of the Czech Republic​ to Czechia​ 

Do you prefer Czech Republic or Czechia​

October 15, 2017 8:23 pm  #2

Re: Czech Republic Name Change Poll

Czech Republic.

February 14, 2018 2:08 pm  #3

Czechia

February 16, 2018 6:08 am  #4

I think this poll is going to be skewed by non-native English speakers saying "Czechia" as it matches the name for the country in their language, but within the UK and most other English speaking countries the name "Czechia" is virtually not-used and any thing from events put on by schools to broadcasts of football matches will use the name "Czech Republic". Additionally, at the UN the name is "Czech Republic".

Having lived in the UK all my life and being involved in a lot of international projects, the only time I've ever heard the name "Czechia" being used is by non-English speakers on the internet. Any native speaker, English-language publication and anyone in real life I've met has used the term "Czech Republic".

People contrast it a lot with the Slovakia situation but the main difference is that Slovakia is officially recognised as such and that in colloquial English use Slovakia is used.

As the counter is in Engllish it makes sense for the name to remain as the Czech Republic. The counter should reflect reality, not preferences of the users.

February 16, 2018 12:14 pm  #5

Snya Grozni wrote:

Additionally, at the UN the name is "Czech Republic".

well at the UN there is also "Syrian Arab Republic" and "Republic of Moldova" but you're not going to say that are you
http://www.un.org/en/member-states/

February 17, 2018 8:03 am  #6

23472 wrote:

Snya Grozni wrote:

well at the UN there is also "Syrian Arab Republic" and "Republic of Moldova" but you're not going to say that are you

This Poll is closed and it was only about one country If you think any other country should have its name changed, then go right ahead and make your own poll.  But Remeber Flagcounter does use shortened versions of the names

February 17, 2018 12:41 pm  #7

roddersnavy wrote:

23472 wrote:

Snya Grozni wrote:

This Poll is closed and it was only about one country If you think any other country should have its name changed, then go right ahead and make your own poll.  But Remeber Flagcounter does use shortened versions of the names

did you understand anything of my message?

February 17, 2018 9:07 pm  #8

23472 wrote:

roddersnavy wrote:

23472 wrote:

More like you didn't understand mine.

February 18, 2018 10:04 pm  #9

roddersnavy wrote:

23472 wrote:

roddersnavy wrote:

More like you didn't understand mine.

huh? how's the shit you posted relevant to my post at all?

February 19, 2018 10:27 pm  #10

Snya Grozni wrote:

I think this poll is going to be skewed by non-native English speakers saying "Czechia" as it matches the name for the country in their language, but within the UK and most other English speaking countries the name "Czechia" is virtually not-used and any thing from events put on by schools to broadcasts of football matches will use the name "Czech Republic". Additionally, at the UN the name is "Czech Republic".

Having lived in the UK all my life and being involved in a lot of international projects, the only time I've ever heard the name "Czechia" being used is by non-English speakers on the internet. Any native speaker, English-language publication and anyone in real life I've met has used the term "Czech Republic".

People contrast it a lot with the Slovakia situation but the main difference is that Slovakia is officially recognised as such and that in colloquial English use Slovakia is used.

As the counter is in Engllish it makes sense for the name to remain as the Czech Republic. The counter should reflect reality, not preferences of the users.

good reflection

Board footera

Flag Counter