Flag Counter » Forum

FLAG COUNTER FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 6, 2015 10:39 pm  #1

Flag Details for Aland Islands showing flag for Finland

July 7, 2015 12:10 pm  #2

Re: Flag Details for Aland Islands showing flag for Finland

Well,
The islands belong to Finland.

The views expressed in this statement are in no way intended to represent the views of boardhost.com. The views are my own as moderator of this forum. Since 31 Dec 2016 I'm retired and no longer Moderator of this forum.

July 7, 2015 5:39 pm  #3

I thought these were all soverign states, each with their own individual flag. I looked up Aland Islands in wikipedia, and the flag wikipedia shows is the one with the cross in red and yellow on a dark blue background.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85land_Islands

In reading again, I see them called an " autonomous" state. These relationships and political organizational structures are a little complicated to me. I'll have to try to understand this better. I ran across mention on youtube of some more autonomous states associated with the country of Georgia that I had never heard of before and that you don't have flags of yet.

July 7, 2015 5:56 pm  #4

One never stops learning

The views expressed in this statement are in no way intended to represent the views of boardhost.com. The views are my own as moderator of this forum. Since 31 Dec 2016 I'm retired and no longer Moderator of this forum.

July 7, 2015 6:00 pm  #5

Is this the stuff political science majors study? It's too much for me to completely understand in a day. But at least now I'm aware that all these different political statuses exist.

August 24, 2015 10:53 am  #6

intuitiveexplorer wrote:

Is this the stuff political science majors study? It's too much for me to completely understand in a day. But at least now I'm aware that all these different political statuses exist.

It's called "Flag Collecting". A pretty simple idea. Political science majors are too busy majoring in political science to collect flags. 

August 25, 2015 1:08 pm  #7

@ intuitiveexplorer, if your question is why Åland Islands as an "autonomous" state of Finland has its own flag in flagcounter while other "autonomous" states of other countries have not individual flags, it is because Åland Islands has its own domain .ax, while Finland has .fi

Look at this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains

August 27, 2015 8:20 pm  #8

I have updated the flag shown on the details page, since it is inconsistent with our usage of the AX flag on other pages.  Thanks

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

Board footera

Flag Counter