Flag Counter » Forum

FLAG COUNTER FORUM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 16, 2013 3:08 am  #1

Suggestion: Enable removal of self-added hits

We use a dynamic IP address that morphs quickly, on the order of a couple of days or so. Consequently, so far, at least nine of the hits on our counter are from us, and I would like a way to remove those views from the counter.

I think maybe there could be a feature added where a counter's owner could remove self-inflicted hits on the counter. The Visitor Log in a registered counter might be a good place to do so: at the top right corner of each entry in the Visitor Log, put a little x that you can click on to delete that entry, and hence from the counter as well.

Thoughts?

Last edited by begordon (March 16, 2013 3:10 am)

March 16, 2013 6:19 am  #2

Re: Suggestion: Enable removal of self-added hits

Hi begordon,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I agree that this would be useful for many members.  It would actually be somewhat complicated of an addition, since someone deleting their only visitor from a country or region would probably cause some issues.  I will certainly look into it though.

You might also want to look into why our cookie is not being saved on your computer.  The cookie is intended to prevent you from being counted a second time.  If you have antivirus or other software that is deleting it, you would want to add an exception for flagcounter.com

Flag Counter Developer
Boardhost.com, Inc.

March 16, 2013 9:03 am  #3

cookies should be crushed, stamped upon, and beaten with a stick.

On The 8th Day God Created A Megamix, & The Heavens Danced.

March 16, 2013 9:32 pm  #4

This should be an interesting feature!!

March 18, 2013 1:37 am  #5

Cookies are bad mmmkay

April 26, 2013 11:35 pm  #6

Jeremy wrote:

Hi begordon,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I agree that this would be useful for many members.  It would actually be somewhat complicated of an addition, since someone deleting their only visitor from a country or region would probably cause some issues.  I will certainly look into it though.

That's fine if a region says "0" for number of hits. I don't really care. I've also been getting false pings on my counter from abtasty.com in France -- they started about a month ago, and so far I've gotten about ten, which means that one-third of my France "visitors" don't really exist. I've also gotten a few other bots (Googlebots, bots from Russia too) and I would like to remove those too, but abtasty.com is a particular nuisance.

Paul Prince wrote:

cookies should be crushed, stamped upon, and beaten with a stick.

I feel that way about bots.

Last edited by begordon (April 26, 2013 11:38 pm)

May 25, 2013 7:26 pm  #7

The abtasty.com Safari/Linux bot from France has now hit my counter 24 times. Several weeks ago, I fixed my Allowed Sites list to keep it away, but it didn't work... it followed the counter to my homepage. It now hits my counter every two days minus an hour or so, which at least makes it obvious it is a bot.

I still think removing unwanted or self-inflicted hits would be a reeeealllly good idea. At least, I would reeeeaalllly appreciate it.

Last edited by begordon (May 25, 2013 7:29 pm)

May 26, 2013 9:15 am  #8

Is it your website? Can't you ip block the bot?

May 26, 2013 6:56 pm  #9

Paul Prince wrote:

Is it your website? Can't you ip block the bot?

Not sure if trying that would work in this case.

First of all, it appears to be a mutating IP, which is why the counter records every hit as a new visitor... it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't!

Secondly, in the Visitor Log, under Details, at first it was showing the URL as abtasty.com, and then, when I added my website to "Allowed Sites" under "Visit Management Section", it switched to using the website's homepage instead of abtasty.com, which is now blocked from accessing our counter.

So it's pretty much the ultimate nuisance. It hits the counter once every two days and racks up a New Visitor every time, AND it has gotten around my attempt to block it using the Allowed Sites section.

At least I can identify every visit from the damned thing because it has Safari as its browser and Linux as its operating system. We have gotten a few real visitors from the same area (Ile-de-France, France -- i.e., the Paris area), which we can tell because they use different browsers and operating systems, and visit pages other than just the homepage.

Last edited by begordon (May 26, 2013 7:03 pm)

May 27, 2013 8:16 am  #10

I actually have a bot from Iran that hits my site everyday.....we acually not just 1, there are 3/4 of them that always visit the same page.
If the ip is changing everytime there isn't much you can do about it, apart from to totally block France, and that still won't be guarenteed to stop it.

Board footera

Flag Counter